The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) is a program designed to fund small-scale bilateral projects in Official Development Assistance (ODA) eligible countries, which align with Global Affairs Canada’s thematic priority areas for engagement. The program is directed at projects conceived and designed by local entities. Projects are selected and approved by the relevant Canadian Embassy or High Commission. The CFLI also serves to support positive bilateral relations between Canada, recipient countries and their respective civil societies by deepening contacts and supporting local endeavours.
The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) provides direct funding assistance to:
- Non-governmental, community and not-for-profit organizations,
- Academic institutions working on local projects,
- International, intergovernmental, multilateral and regional institutions, organizations and agencies working on local development activities,
- Municipal, regional or national government institutions or agencies of the recipient country working on local projects,
- Canadian non-governmental and not-for-profit organizations that are working on local development activities.
Specific priorities areas are determined annually and act as selection criteria for project proposals. This year, the High Commission of Canada based in Barbados features a CFLI program whose priority are initiatives that focus on:
- Empowering women and girls and promoting gender equality
- Championing human rights, inclusive and accountable governance, democracy, peaceful pluralism, and respect for diversity
- Promoting action on the environment, including water and climate change
The average contribution is expected to be in the range of CAD $15,000-$45,000 for each individual project. Larger projects may be considered on an exceptional basis, with appropriate justification for use of funds. Project must be completed in a maximum duration of six months (with activities completed by February 28, 2018). Requests for core funding will not be considered.
How to apply
For additional information about the CFLI program, please contact:
Antimó Perretta, CFLI Coordinator
High Commission of Canada for Barbados and the OECS
Email: BDGTNG [at] international.gc.ca
Proposals must be submitted via a Project Application Form and Budget Template (provided).