This online course, taught by Dr. Basil Reid (UWI St. Augustine), covers the theoretical concepts and methodologies of values-based management of Caribbean heritage sites. Values-based management is a holistic approach that focuses on the conservation and communication of those values that make the site significant. In this course, students will be exposed to a values-based approach within the context of Caribbean heritage.
Students will be taught how to develop and execute a management plan within the legal and regulatory environment of the site. They will also be introduced to the canons of site documentation, assessment, monitoring and evaluation. Opportunities will be given for students to be engaged in site visits, which will involve practical sessions on-site. It is designed to hone students’ knowledge base and skill sets, thereby better equipping them for meaningful careers in the management of Caribbean heritage with an emphasis on maintaining the value of heritage sites. As a fairly new management approach, values-based management will entail different heritage types, the range of threats to which heritage may be exposed, the diverse stakeholders associated with each site and importantly the protection of values and significance of specific sites including those that are tourist attractions.
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to
- Evaluate the theoretical concepts and methodologies of values-based heritage management.
- Describe the characteristics which would deem an area a Caribbean Heritage Site.
- Analyse the strengths and weakness of the values-based management approach.
- Design a plan to research, analyze and assess the usefulness of values-based management to a specific Caribbean heritage site
- Apply values-based heritage management to specific Caribbean case studies.
- Explain the canons of site documentation, assessment, monitoring and evaluation.
- Select and utilize relevant approaches to heritage site evaluation and documentation
Scholarships Available -- Apply by December 23!
Partial scholarships are available to qualifying students. Please see the link below for more information.