Call for Papers
“ACH @ 50: Continuity, Change and Challenge”
50th Annual ACH Conference, Barbados, June 10-15, 2018
The ACH Executive Committee is pleased to announce that the 50th Annual Conference of the Association of Caribbean Historians (ACH) will be held in Barbados from Sunday, June 10 to Friday, June 15, 2018. Registration opens early afternoon on Sunday, and sessions will begin later that day. The conference fete, our annual dinner and dance, will be held on Thursday evening, June 14. An optional field trip is scheduled for Friday, June 15. More details about the field trip will be posted to the ACH website as they become available. Please make your travel plans accordingly.
The ACH will mark the milestone of hosting our 50th Annual Conference with the overall conference theme, “ACH @ 50: Continuity, Change and Challenge”. The conference will reflect on the past and future development of the region’s premiere professional historical organization. We invite paper and panel proposals on:
- The ACH @ 50: Aims, Attainments and Aspirations
- Caribbean Historiography
- Theories and Methodologies
- Fields of Caribbean History
- Future of Caribbean History
In addition to the overall theme of ‘Continuity, Change and Challenge’ the 2018 ACH conference will also welcome papers on the following topics suggested by members at our last AGM:
- Archaeology and Environmental History
- Oral History in the Caribbean
- Comparative and Transnational Methodologies
- Reparations and Reparatory Justice
- The Caribbean after Decolonization: Successes, Challenges and the Future
- The Greater Caribbean Region
- Food in the Caribbean
- Land Transactions in the Post-Slavery Caribbean
- Contesting the ‘Creole’ Narrative in History
- Violence, Drugs and Mental Health
- Child’s Play: Children, Sport and Play
While papers on these ideas are encouraged, applicants are welcome to submit proposals on other subjects.
For those proposing panels, please note that we seek linguistic and geographic diversity and representation. Applicants may also wish to consider that the ACH promotes diversity among panelists regarding institutional affiliation and academic level.
Preference is given to applicants who did not present at the previous conference, held in Tobago in 2017.
Proposals must include:
- The appropriate cover sheet for either a paper or panel proposal;
- A 250-word abstract for each proposed presenter (Abstracts must indicate what new information or approach the work provides as well as the archival or oral sources consulted. Abstracts must be submitted in English, French and Spanish); and
- A brief CV (no more than 2 pages).
Graduate students at an advanced stage in their research are welcome to submit proposals and must include a letter of support from their academic advisors attesting to the strength and progress of their research.
Please see Application Instructions here http://www.associationofcaribbeanhistorians.org/confinstructions.htm.
All documents should be combined into ONE (1) Microsoft Word document file (please do not submit as a PDF). The deadline for proposal submission is October 15, 2017. Submissions must be sent to achconference [at] gmail.com.